Science and Heritage Post-doctoral Fellowships Call

15 June 2009


The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) are taking forward a joint £8.1m programme entitled Science and Heritage to support leading-edge research which will explore new ways to understand the cultural and physical nature of heritage and to prepare society for the challenges that cultural heritage will face in the 21st Century.

As part of this Science and Heritage programme, AHRC and EPSRC are offering Post-doctoral Fellowships to enable outstanding early career researchers to establish independent research careers in heritage science. Potential candidates should have up to, but no more than the equivalent of five years’ post-doctoral experience. The fellowships will be for a duration of three years full time (up to 5 years part time) and will primarily cover the salary costs of the Fellow, travel and subsistence and consumables.

Funding is available to support between four and six Post-doctoral Fellowships.

AHRC is administering this call on behalf of AHRC and EPSRC.

The deadline is 4pm Thursday 10 September 2009

More details can be found on the AHRC website

Contact: Louise Tillman




Arts & Humanities Research Council: Each year the AHRC provides approximately £100 million from the Government to support research and postgraduate study in the arts and humanities, from archaeology and English literature to design and dance. In any one year, the AHRC makes approximately 700 research awards and around 1,000 postgraduate awards. Awards are made after a rigorous peer review process, to ensure that only applications of the highest quality are funded. Arts and humanities researchers constitute nearly a quarter of all research-active staff in the higher education sector. The quality and range of research supported by this investment of public funds not only provides social and cultural benefits but also contributes to the economic success of the UK. See Arts & Humanities Research Council website.